"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Friday Quotes, Feb. 9, 2017

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---



Title: The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan

Book Beginnings: Why at the beginning of things is there always light? Dorrigo Evans' earliest memories were of sun flooding a church hall in which he sat with his mother and grandmother.

Friday 56: He had been asked to write the foreword to a book of sketches and illustrations made by Guy Hendricks, a POW who had died on the Line, and whose sketchbook Dorrigo had carried and kept hidden for the rest of the war.

Comment: An Australian friend (Hi Claire) gave me this book a while back and I am finally getting to it. It starts on the island of Tasmania and meanders around Australia while mainly focusing on the time Dorrigo Evans spent as a POW building the Death Railroad in Burma under their Japanese captors. The first 30 pages (that is where I am in the book) are confusing. I sure hope the plot quits jumping around so I can figure out what is happening.



12 comments:

  1. I really like that opening line - hope you'll enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read a book set in Australia and New Zealand, and I enjoyed learning more about that part of the world. However, I don't like plots that jump around. I hope this book settles down and you're able to get into it. I like the opening.
    My Friday post features An Innocent Client.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I really like the beginning. I haven't heard of this one before but it seems pretty interesting. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the BB. I hope the story becomes less confusing for you. I'd love for you and your readers to check out my blog... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsAMOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully it smooths out for you. I've not read about the Death Railroad before.

    MY Friday 56 from The Ashes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting and lots of times books start to make sense once ya get further into it. Hope it does for you.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the Australian setting...a perfect escape from troubling events (LOL). Or there's Canada.

    I hope you enjoy the book more as you go along...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BBOF got off to a late start this week, but it it up and running now. Sorry for the delay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does sound good but I hope that the plot stops jumping around soon and you can enjoy it :)
    New GFC follower here! Hi!
    My Friday 56 features Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an interesting story! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued by the synopsis. I hope the book ends up working out for you. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks very interesting. I love the cover. Here is my Friday 56: https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/friday-56-24/

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.