"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Sunday Salon, Feb. 5

Chihuly glass. Tacoma Art museum
Weather: it is 36 degrees and snowing/raining. Nothing is sticking because it is too warm. Snow was predicted for tomorrow but arrived a day early.

I turn 60 this month, please join in the celebration: To celebrate my 60th birthday year I am inviting friends to reconnect/connect with me in a special way some time this year (2017): a movie, a walk, dinner in or out, a long phone call, coffee or a drink, etc. I am hoping 60 people will take me up on my offer to get together with me in 2017. If you would like to be one of those people, put on your thinking cap about what you'd like to do and let's get something organized. Let me know!

It's Gonna be OKAY...this week's news out of Washington and elsewhere in our nation has been pretty discouraging. I am clinging to this mantra today, "It's gonna be OK." There is always hope.


The Plot Against America...this week I wrote a review of the Philip Roth book by this title and the similarities in the book with what is happening today in politics. On the exact same day I published my review, Bill Moyers published an article about Philip Roth and The Plot Against America, too. Check out both links. It is creepy how something written over ten years ago could be so prescient.

Poetry Out Loud: We attended the regional contest for POL yesterday in Tacoma. Our gal from GKHS didn't win but she did very well. My favorite two poems of the day we recited by the two winners: At the Vietnam Memorial by George Bilgere and Caged Bird by Maya Angelou.

From the kitchen: Butternut Squash soup and oat bran bread. I bought Don a soup recipe book for Christmas and we've tried out three recipes from it so far: Curried Cauliflower (good and spicy); Chorizo and potato (better the second day); and Roasted Butternut Squash soup (delicious but very labor intensive. I doubt I will make it again). The bread, on the other hand, was a huge hit. Here is the recipe for it.

Reading: I have been so distracted by the political state of affairs I haven't been spending my normal amount of time reading since the election, having read only three books in January and one this month. But I did finish Commonwealth by Ann Patchett which is fabulous. look for my review later today or tomorrow. I also picked up Romeo and Juliet: a Chooseable Path Adventure by Ryan North. It is lauded as a one of those books where the reader gets to decide what adventure to choose. Will Romeo end of with Rosaline instead of Juliet, will Romeo and Juliet take over Verona and chance the politics of the day...etc. I started this book yesterday and picked my adventure which ended after only five choices. So I picked another adventure , which ended in three. I thought these adventures were supposed to go on for a few more pages and choices than three to five. I'll probably try a few more adventures but I am not sure at what point I will get to count that I read the book. I'm still plunking away (now at 25%) on Scythe by Neal Shusterman.

Prayers for: my eldest daughter Rita who has a bad cold and is having a hard time shaking it. Prayers for her health in general..

It is still snowing and has started to stick. We'll see if anything comes of this. Like all good teachers I always hope for just a school delay, not a school cancellation.


21 comments:

  1. That's funny that you aren't reading as much due to the inclement political weather as I am reading more since I am avoiding the news. It's all just too depressing! I spent this morning getting my Feedly account going again since I now have time to check more blogs; I am really looking forward to that. 60 years old... I'll have to see if I am in WA this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to meet you and show you around Washington. That would be fun!

      Delete
  2. I read seven books in January, but most were short, including a few books of poetry. I can't concentrate either; I'm right there with you being distracted by the political state of affairs....oh, oops, didn't read the top of your post. Happy (early) 60th. That sounds like a great way to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow is starting to stick here also! Ack. I wasn't as huge a fan of Commonwealth as I thought I would be. I still prefer State of Wonder. Thinking loving and healthy thoughts of Rita. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commonwealth is a very different story than State of wonder. I think it was about the power of stories. You have to admit, she is a master storyteller.

      Delete
  4. I turned 60 in November, so I love your idea of doing something with sixty people. I'd love to do something with you, but, of course, it would have to be something virtual. That could be fun, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. If we could only figure out how to swap jobs for a week, but then we still wouldn't meet each other. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. I hope you have the perfect birthday celebration. 60 is in my rear view mirror....but I still feel even younger inside.

    Except when I am discouraged. But Hope is my One Word this year...and I will cling to it.

    Philip Roth is brilliant! Must read that book.

    Enjoy the week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I'm not that many years behind ya:) Have a wonderful one.
    It was freezing Saturday and t-shirt weather today. That's the south for you. LOL

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to meet for coffee some time, and cannot believe you are 60. You seem barely 50 to me. Your blog makes me feel as if we would be friends if we ever were fortunate enough to work in the same place . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mom. I'm feeling better than yesterday, but happy to have a snow day to recover some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. Take good care of yourself and sleep in! (Day off, right?)

      Delete
  9. I LOVE today's song! Never heard of these guys but definitely adding them to my Spotify and iTunes. Very cheery, upbeat song - right up my alley!

    I also love, love, love butternut squash soup (almost as much as my son hates it!). I have an easy recipe for it.

    And finally, I LOVE Neal Schusterman! Hadn't heard of this one you're reading, but his Unwind series is AMAZING.

    A lot to love in your post today! Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of Butternut Squash soup too but this one required roasting the squash fist and it was so hard, even after it was done roasting and starting to burn, that I put it in the soup hoping it would cook more in the both. When it didn't, I had to get out the immersion blender. When that still didn't work, I had to fish out the hard pieces and blend then in a smaller bowl. By the time I was done, the kitchen was a disaster zone. The soup tasted good but not good enough to redo that exercise in mess making.

      Delete
  10. Happy early birthday, Anne! 🎂

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday this month Anne. What a great idea you have about 60 get-togethers. I am very worried about the political state of affairs, so I'm with you there. We have a lot of snow in Calgary, and I hear Vancouver has quite a bit too. Did it hit & stick in Seattle? cheers.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.